Monday, September 21, 2009

In Cheeseland

Hey everyone,

Recently, on vacation in Wisconsin, I happened upon and old hippie radical from the 60's. UWisconsin at Madison, where he went to school, was a hotbed of demonstration against the Vietnam War back then. I discussed the Installation with him and he dismissed it. He told me it was not strong enough and loud enough and "in your face enough." I understand where he was coming from. There's a time and a place and a person for that kind of activism. I defend his right to that kind of street demonstration.

But.

The Buddhist Community in Rochester has a scheduled night of meditation. Kind of a meditation for Peace and against War. What does it really change if you meditate against War? I don't know. What will a bunch of calligraphy pieces hanging from a ceiling do to end War? I don't know. I do know ... that this is my venue. This is how I would do it. I will do it. This is the silent scream from the ceiling where the Art Intallation will hang. I've seen photos of Thomas' Installation. I am moved by the power. The grace. The communication. The will of several hundred people who took the time and the heart to address this issue. Rage against the machine? This is how we will do it. I'm getting all soap-box again. Yst this is where my heart lies. Peace.

I remind myself to contact the Buddhists in Rochester ... and I received in inquiry from South Africa. Cool. This week all of the Canadian Guild invitations went out. My Mom was born in Canada. Half of the American Guild invites went out as well. I pray for a great response.

Peace and Love to all.
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike

    You posted about Peace on International Day of Peace - very cool! We have a Japanese temple bell inscribed with the kanji symbols for peace (hei-wa)and we gonged it across our valley last night - sharing peaceful thoughts and vibrations. We each seek peace and promote peace in our own small ways. Go well

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete