Monday, August 31, 2009

Disposition?

The Project. I have several wonderful folks who are sending advice my way on the Installation. I temper their advice with what Thomas Ingmire is telling me about how his west coast Installations actually ran. Words of experience. The thought came up as to what the disposition of the Rochester broadsides would be, afterwards. Thomas thought of binding his and donating them to the library in California – but that has not happened, yet. So his advice was to keep them – or add “mine” to his collection. I’m keeping them. Too soon to look into the future, but I see other installations in the regional area. Can art installations have 2nd and 3rd lives?

And then we ask the question – who owns them? Well for cost and practicality, they’re not going back to the originators, the artists, the calligraphers. But do I own them? I don’t think so. Can art be owned? It can be possessed. I will have the broadsides in my possession. But I think of art as being owned by the world. So I will keep them in my care. And I will try to make sure that they are exhibited again, and again. (way too heavy for a Monday morning. I need more coffee!)

Personal. It was 45 degrees F (7 C) this morning. Fall is in the air. I’ve got some ten quotes ready on the subject of PEACE. It’s time to start turning them into calligraphy and art. BTW I’m teaching a Guild class on The Mechanisms of Circle and Spiral Calligraphy Layouts this Wednesday. Thanks to Bill Waddington of Texas for his notes.

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek,
but a means by which we arrive at that goal.

The late Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment